Goals and Benefits of FedRAMP
The Goals of FedRAMP are to
1. Ensure use of cloud services adequately protects and secures federal information.
2. Enable cloud services’ reuse across the federal government wherever possible to save money and time.
Benefits of FedRAMP are:
• FedRAMP is a government-wide program that provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services.
• FedRAMP uses FISMA and NIST defined guidance and frameworks for assessing security in the cloud.
• FedRAMP supports consistent application of best practices and uniform approach to assessing cloud services.
• FedRAMP assessment and continuous monitoring processes ensure transparency and trust between the federal government and industry.
• FedRAMP is designed to help accelerate the adoption of cloud computing in the federal government by offering a centralized repository to facilitate re-use.
Hence, from the governments point of view; the major benefit of FedRAMP is that it allows federal agencies to reduce significant time, costs and resources in their evaluation of the security of cloud service provider¬s.
And from a Cloud Service Provider’s view, the important benefit of FedRAMP is that it makes service provider a “preapproved” vendor, so it simplifies the procurement process. Service provider also only need to report on its security to one entity rather than every client, saving time and money.