ISO 27001 and FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) are two different sets of standards and frameworks related to information security. While both aim to ensure the safety of information systems, they have different scopes and target different audiences.
ISO/IEC 27001 is the international framework which caters a standard for implementing, maintaining, and continuously improving an information security management system (ISMS). The standard sets out the criteria for establishing, applying, maintaining, and continually improving an ISMS within the organization’s overall business risks.
FISMA is the Federal Information Security Management Act, a United States federal law establishing a framework for managing information security and cybersecurity within federal government agencies. FISMA compliance requires federal agencies to develop, implement, and maintain robust information security programs to protect their information and information systems.
It’s important to note that FISMA compliance primarily applies to federal government agencies and their contractors who handle federal information systems. Compliance requirements may vary depending on the agency as well as how sensitive the data being handled is.
Here’s a quick comparison between ISO 27001 and FISMA compliance:
|Scope and Applicability:||ISO 27001 is the international standard the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) created. It gives a framework for establishing, implementing, maintaining, and continually improving an organisation’s Information Security Management System (ISMS). It caters to organisations of all types and sizes, regardless of industry or sector.||FISMA is the federal law in the US that outlines a comprehensive framework for managing information security within federal government agencies. It applies specifically to federal agencies, contractors, and other organisations that handle federal information systems or provide services to the federal government.|
|Compliance Requirements:||ISO 27001 sets out a risk-based approach to information security management. It requires organizations to identify and assess their information security risks, establish controls to mitigate them and implement a systematic approach to managing information security. Compliance with ISO 27001 involves a certification process conducted by accredited certification bodies.||FISMA mandates federal agencies to develop, document, and implement an agency-wide information security program. It focuses on assessing risk, managing vulnerabilities, and implementing security controls to protect federal information and information systems. Compliance with FISMA involves a series of requirements, including risk assessments, security categorization, security controls implementation, and periodic security assessments and reporting.|
|Regulatory Framework:||ISO 27001 is a voluntary international standard. While compliance is not mandatory, organizations may adopt it to demonstrate their commitment to information security and meet the requirements of customers, partners, or regulatory bodies.||FISMA is a mandatory federal law in the United States that applies to federal agencies and organizations handling federal information systems. It sets specific requirements that federal agencies must meet to ensure the security of their information systems.|
|Audit and Certification||Compliance with ISO 27001 involves a certification process conducted by accredited certification bodies. Organizations need to undergo an audit to demonstrate their compliance with the standard. The certification is valid for a specific period and requires periodic audits to maintain compliance.||FISMA compliance involves regular audits and assessments conducted by federal agencies or their designated third-party assessors. These assessments evaluate an organization’s compliance with FISMA requirements and help identify areas for improvement.||Audit and Certification||Compliance with ISO 27001 involves a certification process conducted by accredited certification bodies. Organizations need to undergo an audit to demonstrate their compliance with the standard. The certification is valid for a specific period and requires periodic audits to maintain compliance.||FISMA compliance involves regular audits and assessments conducted by federal agencies or their designated third-party assessors. These assessments evaluate an organization’s compliance with FISMA requirements and help identify areas for improvement.|
It’s worth noting that ISO 27001 provides a broader and more flexible framework applicable to a wide range of organizations. At the same time, FISMA is a specific law that focuses on the requirements of federal agencies and their information systems. Organizations that need to comply with FISMA requirements may also choose to adopt ISO 27001 as a framework to guide their information security management efforts.
Why choose Valency Networks for Cyber Security?
We claim to be the ultimate defender in the realm of cyber security. Allow us to give a brief overview to support our claim:
- Expertise: Valency Network has worked with the world’s top IT service and product companies to implement ISO 27001 and FISMA. We have customers worldwide, and they rate us as the leading Cyber Security Company for our dedication and subject matter expertise.
- Comprehensive Solutions: Valency Networks offers a complete suite of cybersecurity services comprising Risk Assessment, Risk Compliance, Risk Management and Risk Solutions. We deliver cutting-edge solutions in the areas of Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing services for IT Networks, Web apps, cloud apps, mobile apps and IoT/OT networks. We also provide Cyber Security Consultancy Services, Compliance Implementations and Cyber Security Auditing Services for ISO27001, FISMA, HIPAA, GDPR, SOC2, PCI-DSS, Cyber Essentials, PIPEDA, TISAX and so forth.
- Innovation: Valency Networks uses the latest technology and innovative approaches to address emerging challenges in the ever-evolving cyber landscape.
- Reputation: Recognized as one of India’s top cyber security companies, we have been accoladed as “The Top Cyber Security Company of India” for our excellence in delivering effective and reliable security solutions.
- Client-Focused Approach: We take our customer data security very seriously, which has helped us establish ourselves as a country’s top cyber security expert by gaining our customer’s trust and loyalty. We work closely with clients, catering to their needs and ensuring maximum protection and assurance.
Hence, regarding cyber security, Valency Networks is the trusted armour that safeguards your business, allowing you to navigate the digital world confidently.
How Valency Network can help you protect your personal information?
Valency Networks provides robust security solutions and cutting-edge technologies to keep your data safe and sound. Through comprehensive vulnerability assessments and penetration testing, we identify vulnerabilities in your systems and applications and provide actionable insights to strengthen your defenses. Valency Networks has also successfully completed ISO 27001 Standard and FISMA examination, bringing a uniform, standardized approach to information security systems to cater to clients worldwide.
So, please sit back and relax, knowing that we have your back, protecting your personal information like a trustworthy cyber security expert.